Darius J. Brown
3rd District Council Member
Follow Council Member Brown on Twitter @DariusJBrown #3rdDistrict
Darius J. Brown represents the Third District on Wilmington City Council in Wilmington, Delaware. The "tech councilman" has emerged as a thought leader developing public policy and providing upward mobility to residents of underserved neighborhoods in Wilmington's urban core.
Council Member Brown is an ardent poverty advocate, supporting the Half in Ten project to cut national poverty in half in ten years. His consciousness of the economic downturn’s impact on the urban poor led him to begin a public awareness initiative, “Creating Pathways Out of Poverty.” Focusing on food insecurity and child hunger, the councilman's work supports local food distribution programs, community centers, and child care facilities. Creating Pathways Out of Poverty helps residents retool through education and employment. Council Member Brown firmly believes they are the key vehicles, from Poverty to Opportunity to Mobility.
As a policy maker, insuring access is his foremost concern in addressing economic inequality. He approaches his work as an urban missiologist helping citizens by repairing the ladder of opportunity. Council Member Brown oftentimes says, “You can't improve neighborhoods without investing in the people who live there.” Through education and employment initiatives, he is championing the call for human capital investment. This helps local residents become equipped for the emerging job sector through schooling and learned skill sets. His work extends to Justice reinvestment by supporting Reentry programs in his district and expanded services to the incarcerated population. To reduce poverty and recidivism he advances policies that create opportunity.
Council Member Brown's district work concentrates on building better neighborhoods. Through civic engagement he renews trust with an emphasis on fostering collaboration among stakeholders. Through this approach an ecosystem is formed to foster education, employment, housing, and wellness. Building better neighborhoods bolsters the districts economic growth and creates neighborhoods of opportunity, making them learning, working, livable, and healthy ecologies.
Councilman Brown serves nationally as a member of the National League of Cities (NLC), serving on the Finance, Administration & Intergovernmental Relations Committee and as a Leadership Fellow at NLC University providing education and professional development to 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans. He is also a national advocate for U.S. infrastructure investment as a member the bipartisan coalition Building America's Future.
Prior to elected office he was a Leadership Fellow at the Center for American Progress in Washington, D.C., as part of Progress 2050. His public service career includes representing leading state health and education organizations and working on domestic policy issues in the United States Senate and Delaware State Senate.
Standing Committees of Council
Council Member Brown is a member of the following committees:
- Community and Economic Development
- Health, Aging & Disabilities
- Housing, Licenses & Inspections
3rd District Annual Report
News and Special Projects
- I'm promoting college readiness through my Learning Neighborhoods initiative. The Delaware Department of Education announces that free SAT registration is now open for public school juniors. Get more information at www.doe.k12.de.us/news/2014/0210.shtml I encourage parents to make sure their child is enrolled to take the SAT.
- Read Council Member Brown's 3rd District Annual Report
- City Council Member Brings "Career Heroes" to Eastside Charter School
- Wilmington City Council Member Presents an Event to Kick-Off Health Care Insurance Outreach to the Uninsured
- The News-Journal: It's time for Delawareans to get acquainted with Obamacare
- NBC10: Understanding Healthcare Reform
- Council Member Darius Brown and the Food Bank of Delaware (FBD) Urge Citizens to Take Action During Hunger Action Month
- Read Safe Neighborhoods, Council Member Brown's recommendations on how to reduce violence in the 3rd District.
- Council Member Darius Brown Urges Citizens to Download a New Mobile App to Voice Frustrations to Congress in Real Time
- Money Matter$: The Earned Income Tax Credit Campaign
- Half in Ten: Creating Pathways Out of Poverty
Contact City Council
Wilmington City Council
Louis L. Redding City/County Building
800 N. French Street
Wilmington, Delaware 19801
Phone: (302) 576-2140
Fax: (302) 571-4071