Become a Wilmington Firefighter
The City of Wilmington is seeking to establish an eligibility list of Certified Firefighters. Applications are currently being accepted for the position of Probationary Firefighter.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must have a valid Pro Board or IFSAC Firefighter I and Firefighter II certifications and a National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician Basic (NREMT-B) certification;
- Must be 18 years of age or older at the time of application;
- Have a high school diploma or GED;
- Obtain city residency within 6 months of employment;
- Possess a valid driver's license; and
- Have good moral character.
The recruitment process will entail a battery of tests to include the following:
- Submission of a completed employment application;
- Panel interview;
- Background investigation;
- Physical agility test;
- Chief interview; and
- Physical examination/medical certification.
ALL COMPLETED APPLICATIONS MUST BE RETURNED BY 5:00 P.M. ON WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2013. COMPLETED APPLICATIONS MUST BE RETURNED TO THE CITY OF WILMINGTON, HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT, 4th FLOOR, LOUIS L. REDDING CITY/COUNTY BUILDING, 800 NORTH FRENCH STREET, WILMINGTON, DELAWARE 19801.
- Applications must be typed or clearly printed in black or blue ink.
- All questions must be answered. If a question is not applicable, N/A will be placed in the space. No question will be left blank.
- All pages must be initialed or signed in the appropriate location.
- The waiver pages MUST BE completed.
- Applicants must attach a certified copy of their current state or DMV (Delaware Motor Vehicle) record. Contact Delaware Motor Vehicle at (302) 434-3226.
- Incomplete applications WILL NOT be accepted or considered for employment.
- Upon submission of the completed application, you will receive your date and time for the Physical Agility Test.
Contact the Wilmington Fire Department
Wilmington Fire Department
Emergency Operations Center
22 S. Heald Street
Wilmington DE 19801
Phone: (302) 576-3950
Fax: (302) 571-4039
Smoke Detector Program: (302) 571-4361