97th Wilmington Police Academy
The Wilmington Police Department is accepting applications through Friday, March 11, 2016 from individuals interested in joining the police force.
Successful applicants will begin the 26-week Police Academy in August 2016. Those candidates who graduate from the academy will begin their official police careers in February 2017.
All applicants to the 97th Academy must be at least 21 years of age, a U.S. citizen, and of good moral character. Applicants must also possess a valid driver’s license and a high school diploma or GED, and are expected to establish residency in the City within six months of employment. Military applicants must provide a copy of their DD Form 214 showing an honorable discharge.
Applicants will not be accepted from persons with a felony or violent crime conviction or from someone on criminal probation. Applicants must also meet stringent physical requirements, including normal hearing in both ears; vision of 20/100 uncorrected—correctable to 20/20; and good physical health.
As part of the application process, all applicants must complete physical ability testing (e.g. sit-ups, push-ups, vertical jump, 1.5-mile run, treadmill test); a written examination (e.g. report writing, reading comprehension, reasoning ability, observation and memory); oral interviews; medical and psychological testing; a polygraph examination; a drug screening; and a background investigation (e.g. school records, employment history, military records, credit and banking records).
To be considered for a position as a Wilmington police officer, please follow these steps:
- Visit this link to download the Wilmington Department of Police Application.
- Fill out and complete the application.
- Return your application in person or mail your application to:
City of Wilmington Department of Human Resources
800 N. French Street, 4th Floor
Wilmington, DE 19801
- Please do not fax the application.
- Applications must be postmarked no later than March 11, 2016.
- Please attach the following documents to your application:
- Copy of an official high school transcript or GED certificate
- Official college transcript
- Military Form DD-214, when applicable
- U.S. Naturalization Papers, when applicable
- Birth Certificate
- Physical Ability Test Release Form
- Physician Authorization Form
- Get directions to the City of Wilmington Municipal Services Complex, William G. Turner, Jr. Building
PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE WILMINGTON POLICE DEPARTMENT REGARDING THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION.
The WPD is an accredited police agency that offers many opportunities in training and service in specialized law enforcement positions. The divisions within the Department include: Criminal Investigations; Forensic Sciences; Traffic; Canine; Financial Crimes; Drug; Organized Crime and Vice; Juvenile Services; and Administrative and Support Services.
The City of Wilmington is an equal opportunity employer; veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.