Today's Bicycle Safety and Injury Prevention Demonstration Postponed
Posted on 07/17/2013 11:14 am
Event Postponed: Today’s 2:00 p.m. event at Christiana Park (Traumatic Brain Injury Prevention and Bicycle Safety) will be postponed due to the extreme heat. The same activities will be held next week, July 24, 2013, at Herman Holloway Park.
Wilmington’s Community Policing Unit is looking to create a safe haven for city residents within their neighborhoods.
Beginning Wednesday, July 10th 2013 and continuing every Wednesday between 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., the Community Policing Unit will be stationed in various parks throughout the city. This will allow adults, children, and families to meet their community police officer and enjoy the city parks. Residents will be allowed to communicate with the community officer in a casual environment. In addition, there will be helpful activities at certain parks for city residents.
The scheduled dates and locations are:
July 10 - Hicks Anderson Park
- Wilmington’s Fire Department will be there to provide fire prevention information.
July 17 - Christiana Park
- The Injury Prevention Coalition will be presenting information on Traumatic Brain Injury Prevention and demonstrating bicycle safety techniques. The injury Prevention Coalition will have free bike helmets to give away and someone on hand to appropriately fit the helmets. The Community Policing Unit will be on their bikes encouraging children to come to the park on theirs. (The rain date for this activity will be July 24th at Herman Holloway Park.)
- July 24 - Herman Holloway Park
July 31 - Judy Johnson Park (Police Day)
- Various Police units will be on hand for demonstrations, including the K9 Unit.
- August 7 - Eden Park
- August 14 - Winchester Park
- August 21 - Haynes Park
- August 28 - Kosciuszko Park
Anyone with questions regarding the above listed activities should contact Master Sergeant Walter Ferris at (302) 379-9273.