Police Investigate Crash Involving School Bus
Posted on 11/15/2013 10:57 am
- West 4th and North Lincoln Streets, Wilmington, Delaware
Date of Occurrence:
- Friday, November 15, 2013, approximately 7:05 a.m.
- Vehicle 1: 2011 Nissan Versa
- Operator 1: Matthew Backer, 27, Wilmington Delaware
- Vehicle 2: 2002 AmTran School Bus
- Operator 2: Franklin Winston, 53, Wilmington, Delaware
Nine children were transported to A.I. duPont Hospital for Children after a school bus was involved in a motor vehicle accident in Wilmington this morning.
The incident occurred at approximately 7:05 a.m. as an East Side Charter School school bus was traveling eastbound on West 4th Street through the intersection of North Lincoln Street. A northbound 2011 Nissan Versa operated by Matthew Backer, 27, of Wilmington, struck the right rear side of the bus as it traveled through the intersection.
Nine children, ages 9 to 14, were transported to A.I. duPont Hospital for Children with minor injuries. The cause of the accident remains under investigation and no citations have been issued.