The Office of the Mayor Scholarship Awards Deadline Approaching
Posted on 05/24/2013 10:57 am
The Office of the Mayor has been accepting applications for the 2013-2014 Academic Scholarship awards, which are available to city residents who are graduating high school seniors that have been accepted into an accredited college or university.
For several years, the Office of the Mayor Academic Scholarship has sought to recognize the academic commitment and achievement of the youth in the City of Wilmington, and Mayor Dennis P. Williams is proud to continue this tradition.
“The children are the ones who lead and shape our City’s future, so we must recognize and celebrate the academic accomplishments of those children who work hard to excel in school and their communities,” said Mayor Williams.
This year’s scholarship awards will include: three $1,500 scholarships, five $1,000 scholarships, and thirteen $750 scholarships.
In order to be considered for a scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a resident of the City of Wilmington. Proof of residency is required.
- Be a graduating high school senior and has been accepted into an accredited college or university.
- Have graduated from high school with a cumulative 2.5 or greater GPA.
- Have demonstrated commitment to their community.
- Possess leadership qualities
All components of the scholarship application packet must be submitted together; otherwise, it will be regarded as an incomplete application and will not be considered. The components include:
- Completed scholarship application
- Proof of City of Wilmington residency (copy of Driver’s License or State Issued Identification)
- Sealed high school transcript (including overall GPA)
- Completed essay
- Completed FAFSA form
- Copy of college or university acceptance letter
- Three (3) letters of reference. On business letterhead (if applicable) and written by individuals who are not relatives. References should be closely involved with your education or employment. Letters should be sealed in an envelope, addressed to the Office of the Mayor, and should not be opened by the applicant. All reference letters are to remain confidential.
*To download the scholarship application visit: www.WilmingtonDE.gov/residents/scholarship
Return your completed application packet to:
Office of the Mayor
800 North French Street, 9th Floor
Wilmington, DE 19801
Attn: David Sophrin
Your completed application packet must be postmarked on or before May 31, 2013. Applications will not be accepted after the established deadline. The City of Wilmington will review all applications and may choose to interview the finalists.
Incomplete applications, those who do not meet minimum qualifications, or those who do not follow the formatting guidelines will not be considered. The decision of the selection committee is final and not subject to appeal. Scholarship winners will be notified by phone, email, or mail after the selection committee has made its decisions. Scholarship winners give the City of Wilmington the right to publish their essay, in whole or in part, on the City website and in press-related materials.
For more information about the Office of the Mayor Scholarship, please call (302) 576-2100.