- Proper are of domestic animals is required, including proper food, water, shelter and veterinary care.
- Dogs are to be on a leash.
- Fecal matter must be removed immediately in a sanitary manner in an airtight bag or other closed container and deposited in a trash receptacle. Violations are punishable by fines ranging from $250 to $1,000.
- Abuse and abandonment are prohibited.
- City dogs must be licensed. Currently, licenses are only available at the Delaware Humane Association on A Street (get directions).
IN ORDER TO OBTAIN A DOG LICENSE, OWNERS MUST BRING PROOF OF A RABIES VACCINATION (A CERTIFICATE SIGNED BY A VETERINARIAN).
Pit Bull Registration
- Pit Bull owners must be at least 21 years old.
- Pit Bulls must be licensed and registered. Registration is $30, good for the life of the dog, and must be registered at the Delaware Humane Association.
- Pit Bull registration requires that the animals be neutered – Delaware SPCA offers FREE spay/neuter for Pit Bulls owned by City residents, call 998-2281 for an appointment (get directions).
- Pit Bull registration requires that the owner owns his/her home or has a lease with express written consent allowing a Pit Bull to be housed.
- Pit Bull breeding is prohibited – puppies are subject to seizure.
- Pit Bulls must be on a leash not to exceed 6 feet in length and must be muzzled in City parks.
THERE ARE STIFF FINES FOR VIOLATIONS OF PIT BULL ORDINANCES
$500 – SINGLE VIOLATION
$1,000 – REPEAT OR CONTINUING VIOLATIONS
Contact Constituent Services
Mayor's Office of Constituent Services
Louis L. Redding City/County Building
800 N. French Street, 3rd Floor
Wilmington DE 19801
Phone: (302) 576-CITY (576-2489)